Monday, June 27, 2011

Memoirs of a Vampire

The Dream

I dreamt of him again; one of those vivid, terrifying dreams, the one where you must run for your life, run as you had never run before. But I couldn't run because something inside held me back, someone that I was looking for. I stood on the edge of a cliff on a midsummer day where the sun rose into a sky as perfectly blue as a robin's egg, with a soft and eerie breeze rushing through my hair and stirring it about. It seemed like I was looking for another dream, but I couldn't remember which one. I deduced the only way to find the other dream was by killing myself, but then someone who was both present and absent, someone with a sweet voice, said, "You can't swim." Ignoring the voice, I gazed at the calm sea below, and with neither fright nor hesitation, I jumped.

I plunged under the water, spluttering and coughing. My body dipped on the seabed, my hands flailing helplessly as I sank. Out of nowhere, someone dived in after me and grasped my hand, pulling me upward. Within a few seconds, he had hauled me to the shore. He knelt beside me and smoothed the hair away from my half-drowned face. I opened my eyes slowly, coughing water out of my mouth. The sun was shining into the stranger's face, making it golden, and the droplets of water lingering on the ends of his hair sparkled like diamonds on velvet. He appeared to be only eighteen years of age, but as I looked deeper into his eyes, he seemed much older.

"Are you all right, miss?" he asked.

I lay still on the smooth hot sand, feeling totally dazed. He said something, but my mind was fuzzy, and I didn't hear him. A sudden explosion roused me out of my trance, followed by another blast, louder than the first and closer. Now I was inside another dream in which we were in the middle of a war. Both dreams were mashed into one, a dream within a dream, but I was only present in one of them. Nevertheless, I could see and hear everything that was happening.

"I know you," I said in confusion.

"No," he said softly. "You have to go. Please, don't look for me."

"Why?" I said.

"It's forbidden-they're coming!"

The earth started to quake. The sea rose high into the sky, and the sand collapsed; everything began to tumble down into the ground, coupled with a roar. The air was filled with the rumble of thousands of tons of rocks tumbling, rolling down into the blazing chasm. We were about to fall into the infinite gulf with no one around to help. We stared into each other's eyes as if unaware of the chaos surrounding us. He alone knew what was about to happen, what kind of forces were coming for me; after all, I was in his dream. The throbbing grew to a great tumult, and we were in the verge of a fall. It was already too late. We were falling with the ominous slowness of a dream-down, down, down toward the cruel hot magma below.

That was when I jerked awake. I blinked, immediately forgetting his face.

This Book is available at Barnes and Nobles Nook and Amazon Kindle. It's a must read for there is a twist to this story.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment