Thursday, June 30, 2011

Wayne Douglas - The Job (First Day) (Short Story)

The move to California wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The new condo was fifty miles north of Los Angeles in a nice neighborhood. Work was two miles away with very little traffic. The only time I would have to go into the city would be when running errands for the new boss.

Monday morning I went to the school and got my son registered for the special education class. We had a prior meeting with the teacher and a tour of the class, so my son was not completely stressed out when I left him. I have to admit I am sick to my stomach about all this change at once. It is bad enough starting a new job but up rooting my kid too was enough to push me over the edge.

Wayne lives in a gated community so I checked in with the security guard before I could go in. I pulled into the driveway of this Mediterranean style house with a tile roof. A large fountain took center stage in the rounded driveway, with a large black truck off to the right. This truck was massive dual cab with a long bed all jacked up on big black wheels. Men and their toys.

Wayne answered the door in his underwear, apparently the look on my face said it all because all he did was smile and say get used to it I'm not shy. Amused with himself he told me to make myself at home while he ran upstairs to put some clothes on.

When he came back he had a hire package with him. Standard stuff health insurance, w-2, 401k etc. While filling the paperwork out his cell phone rang, he handed it to me and said tell my mother that he was on the other line. I chatted with her for about five minutes, introducing myself and other pleasantries.

He received a text message a couple minutes later that said "I like her." I had passed the test, at least his mom's test anyway. Wayne said that he talks to his mom about everything so it's no wonder that she called.

He faxed my hire packet to the management company and showed me to my office. A previous assistant put together a daily schedule so I at least had a place to start. Wayne said to figure out what I could and then ask questions. OK, I was on my own. I took a deep breath and dug in.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment