Sunday, June 26, 2011

You're A Star: Chapter One

It was the time of the year again. It was Valentine's Day. This meant horror to Mario. Well, it wasn't because of any serious traumatic accidents or something. It was just that he was most wanted during this day. Mario was very handsome. Period. Since he hit puberty two years ago, all the girls screamed their hearts out when they see him and the boys' egos screamed envy.

But one good thing about him is that he knows his priority. He's only fifteen. He knew he was too young for things only mature people understand. He wasn't ready for love yet. So, receiving flowers, heart stickers and chocolates meant nothing to him. On his way home, he had to take a taxi ride because of the gifts he received.

"No way! Don't tell me I'd have to get fat of all that calories?" a woman's voice suddenly spoke.

Mario was busy arranging the gifts on the sala table. When he looked at the door, he found his mother with her hands on her waist.

"Mom! You're back," Mario's voice was full of eagerness and excitement. "I'm like crazy waiting for you. Where were you all this time?"

"Well, I had to fix something at work," his mom answered.

"You should've at least told me. Imagine waking up surprised you weren't here anymore."

"Okay, okay. I'm sorry. It was so urgent I didn't have time to tell you."

His mom picked up a box of chocolate from the table and read the note written on it. She laughed at how cheesy the message was. She went to the kitchen o find something to eat while Mario followed her. His mom searched the fridge for food to cook. Mario swung himself on a chair at one side of the island kitchen.

"Hey, mom. There's this new carnival at Del Pilar. Go on a date with me, please, please. We haven't done this in a long time," he pleaded and made a face similar to the cat in the movie Shrek.

His mom stopped and closed the fridge. Her face became apologetic.

"I can't, cutie. I'm just actually here to get something important. I'd be going to Singapore because the company wants me to watch over the business there. I'm sorry, Mario. If only your father was here."

"Stop it, mom. Dad's never coming back. Stop thinking about that, I don't want to rush you to the hospital again," Mario's expression became sad. This was one thing he was sad about. People always thought he was perfect. But as the fact says, nobody's perfect. His father died just before he entered high school. From then, it was his mother who worked for them to live. His mother worked as a consultant for an electronic company. She had to go to places in and out of the country. That meant he was most of the time alone.

"I'll be at my room. Just call me if you need something," he said softly.

He went up the stairs with low shoulders. Time passed by quickly for him. He got himself busy with his homework. Having been able to look at his watch that struck 11pm, he went to sleep without seeing his mom. His tears welled up his eyes knowing that when he wakes up, his mom was gone.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment