Sunday, June 26, 2011

The Welcome Committee

"Are you still sleeping, you lazy ass?" Bobby asks Bradley on the phone.

"No, I'm up... I'm up... I swear. Why the hell are you calling me on Sunday morning?"

"We have a welcoming committee meeting this morning, remember? He's supposed to pick her up around noon so you should probably be here by eleven-thirty or so... you are still coming, right?"

A smirk comes across Bradley's face as he recalls past welcome committee meetings, "Of course, of course... how could I forget? Eva always gets so annoyed with us for these. I wouldn't miss it. Do I need to bring anything?"

"Nope... just you, see you in a couple of hours." Bobby hangs up the phone and chuckles, consumed with the glee of his cunning wickedness...

In the bedroom, Eva is getting ready for her first date in six months. She's going out with her newest neighbor, Joe. He moved into the trailer next to her a few months ago. Within a few days of his moving in, they became good friends. She'd been wondering when he was going to get up the courage to ask her out but who could blame him with "My Three Husbands" hanging around all the time? Bobby, at 6'5" and 250 lbs, is quite intimidating to most by himself.

"I sure hope he survives the welcome committee..." Eva thinks to herself. Silly boys had started doing this a few years back when Bobby was still in prison. Somehow, though, it was his idea. Bradley and Luke used to visit him all the time and once, they told him a story about one of her disaster dates. He told them they really ought to start checking the guys out and thus, the welcome committee was born. However, this would be Bobby's first time actually being physically present for one of the meetings so Eva figured that would probably make the interrogation that much more strenuous but she thinks to herself, "Oh well, their hearts are in the right place, I guess... besides, it's not like I have much of a choice in the matter..."

With the members of the welcome committee seated in a row on the couch, Eva hears a knock on the door at about eleven-fifty... she looks to the committee, grins and says, "Asset number one-not only is he on time, he is early... make a note of that, boys."

She opens the door and there is Joe, holding a blue teddy bear and a bag of Dove milk chocolate. He leans over to kiss her on the cheek and says, "Happy Valentine's Day, sweetheart. You ready to see how much muck we can get my truck to go through?"

"That's so sweet of you... Yep, I can't wait... that truck is huge" she says to Joe. She then turns to the committee and says, "Okay, who prepped him? Who gave him the insider info?" She gets no response from anyone, just a bunch of men staring at her with sheepish grins on their faces.

Bobby steps up and says, "I made a little preemptive strike on my own but I liked ole Joe so much by the end of our conversation that I thought I'd be nice and give him a little edge..." He winks at Joe and Joe winks back, both laugh...

Witnessing all of this, Eva joins in the laughter and says, "Alright, Alright... anybody else have anything to say to Joe before we leave?"

Bradley and Luke shake their heads in unison. Luke says, "No, I reckon we trust that Bobby here got it all straightened out... If he approves of Joe then I guess we do, too... Though, I have to say this is nowhere near as much fun as it was the last time..."

"Yeah, I'm sure it's not for you guys... you made poor Tommy piss his pants with that shotgun stunt you pulled..." Eva says as she glares at Luke and Bradley.

"Okay, well if everyone's done, then, come on, Joe, let's go get stuck in the mud..."

by Jenny Harrell


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment